Sunday, January 20, 2013

Review: Taken at Dusk-C.C. Hunter

Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls #3) by C.C. Hunter
Publication Date: April 10, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Number of Pages: 380
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

Kylie Galen wants the truth so badly she can taste it. The truth about who her real family is, the truth about which boy she’s meant to be with—and the truth about what her emerging powers mean.  But she’s about to discover that some secrets can change your life forever…and not always for the better.



Just when she and Lucas are finally getting close, she learns that his pack has forbidden them from being together.  Was it a mistake to pick him over Derek? And it’s not just romance troubling Kylie. An amnesia-stricken ghost is haunting her, delivering the frightful warning, someone lives and someone dies. As Kylie races to unravel the mystery and protect those she loves, she finally unlocks the truth about her supernatural identity, which is far different—and more astonishing—than she ever imagined.

The third book picks up exactly where the second book left off. The PI has finally gotten in touch with Daniel's adoptive parents. And they have come to the camp to meet Kylie. But the meeting doesn't last long before Holiday makes them leave. Derek had found the P.I. attacked in his office, and after some investigation, the couples weren't the real Brightens. Confused on why humans would pose as them, Perry was sent out to tail them but they completely vanished in thin air. The only issue I had with this, was I could tell something wasn't right to begin with. The P.I. wouldn't of told the Brightens where Kylie was. Maybe give them her number, but he was looking for them not the other way around.

Then we have the ghost issue. This one doesn't seem to know anything, including who she is. Not to mention she doesn't even have a brain pattern! Not to mention the creepy message she keeps telling Kylie. And of course it takes the whole book to figure it out. I kind of find it strange that every ghost that comes to her has some personal tie to Kylie. The first two was understandable. But this one? Don't get me wrong I loved how it worked out. But it seemed way to easy.

To address the boy issues. Just because she has chosen Lucas doesn't mean anything. Deep down Kylie still feel something for Derek. I think a lot of her choice had to do that Kylie found out that while out on assignment, Derek ran into his ex and ended up sleeping together. Not to mention her brought her back to Shadow Falls with him. Even so, I believe Kylie made the wrong choice. I have no doubt that Lucas cares for her. But he's too overprotective. Not to mention he doesn't understand her the way Derek does, especially when it comes to ghosts. Lucas even had a few lines that made my heart melt. But he's too damn insistent that he's hoping Kylie is a were. Wouldn't that make life so easy, since his pack won't allow him to be with someone that isn't were. But the question is can he put his and Kylie's relationship over his pack's needs and wants? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

The secondary characters are amazing. I love Burnette so much. And I'm so glad him and Holiday FINALLY got together. It was about time. And Perry. I love Perry so much. And the scene with him meeting Miranda's date was hilarious.

We can't forget the main plot. Red and Mario are still at large and are still attempting to get Kylie. She even has some kind of evil shifter protecting her from dangers. I honestly felt bad for Red at the end. He gave his life so Kyle could live.

And Kylie finally finds out what she really is. Which I so called it last book. She's a chameleon, which wasn't fully explained. But I'm guessing that's why her different gifts are from different species, and why her brain pattern changes so much, and even reverting back to a human pattern.

I'm really loving this series. And as much as I hate love triangles, I like how this one is approach. You can't be 100% sure who Kylie will end up with. Take notes other YA authors. This is how a real triangle is done.

Rating: 4/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment