Saturday, January 5, 2013

Review: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Deity (Covenant #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: November 6, 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Number of Pages: 330
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "


Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...

With each book the series seems to be it own and not a copy of Vampire Academy. This book still had similarities with VA, but it doesn't seem to be an out right copy like the first book. Which I couldn't be anymore happier about, since I don't think I could continue with the series if every book was like the first one.

There were a few surprises or not so surprises in the book. The first one was Alex's father is still alive. Not only that, he's a half blood. Her father still being alive I saw coming in the last book. Very easy to spot. And I guess if you figured out that part you probably figured out he's a half blood and not a mortal. Which I guess I overlooked that part or just didn't think about it. Alex reaction about it? Very annoying. I just wanted to slap her. I understand her wanting to go find him and free him. But knowing that one wrong step and she's looking at a life in servitude. Yet she still rushes to do stupid things. When she finally sends back a letter for him, she tells him I love you. Now this I have issues with that. I know you love your parents, but she doesn't know her dad or anything about him. Even though he is her dad the I love you seems too sudden. Like me, if anyone suspected that there's more to Leon, you're right. We finally get to see who he really is.

And then there's Seth. There wasn't enough of him in this book. And what there was...well *bawls*. I knew Seth would break my heart. But I still have hope for him. I don't think he really has control of his mind. Come back to us cuddle bunny! I think he really does love Alex, but even so this book has killed my shipping of them two. Which would make you think I would jump on the Aiden ship. Nope. Not a chance. Which has completely stumped me. Aiden and Alex were pretty swoon worthy this book. But there's just something about him that I don't like. I know that they are perfect for each other and have this pure love, and that she will end up with him. They both know they should and need to stay away from each other, but they can't. Doesn't help that Aiden is one of her "babysiters". But knowing that one wrong move or if the wrong person sees them it's the end of Alex's life. I really think that's selfish of Aiden, no matter how deeply he loves her. 

Some of the gods finally make an appearance in the book. You'll see Apollo a lot, and trust me you will love him. I think he has earned the number one spot on my favorites in this series.

Overall, I really love the plot. And certain things started to make sense. And we learn which family member really does care about Alex. I'm hoping that Seth can find his way back.

Rating: 4/5
 

2 comments:

  1. Another great review and you are just tempting me to start this series ASAP! :)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! Like I've said in my reviews that the first book is almost an exact copy of Vampire Academy. But if you turn out to be Team Seth you'll be my new best friend.

    ReplyDelete