Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Puffin
Publication date: January 5th, 2012
Number of pages: 387
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | The Book Depository
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
I had put buying this book off for the longest time. I was very hesitant that it would be something that I'd like. But after some friends telling me how great it is and seeing some wonderful reviews, I decided to bite the bullet and take the chance.
I think what put me off was by the word "cyborg", for some reason I thought that meant some kind of... err monster. I think I was thinking more on the lines of Percy Jackson for some reason, hah. After giving it a shot, I now could smack myself for not getting this sooner. This seems to happen to me a lot of the time lately, where I think something of a book and it turns out to be so completely different from my expectations.

This is a re-telling of a beautiful fairytale, and it's one which you'll never forget. I think it's also one that will expand the entire series, bit by bit before a happy ending can occur.
We are introduced to Cinder, who is half machine and half human. She doesn't remember anything from before her father adopted her from overseas and brought her into his family.  After being the best mechanic in New Beijing, Cinder soon meets the royal Prince Kai. And that is only the beginning of their story.
As these two young people soon discover they have more in common than they may realize, Prince Kai will have to decide which he can live with --- happiness, or doing what is right for his people when the time comes when everyone has to rely on him for guidance.

Cinder is everything I love about a female lead. Strong, honest who loves her family. She is willing to do whatever it takes to saves the ones she loves, and her loyalty knows no bars. I really adored the relationship she has with her younger step-sister, who is certainly not as bad as her other step-sister, who takes the word 'evil' to a new level.
Don't even get me started on her step mother. If you didn't know this was a re-telling, then this family situation should clear up any misunderstandings.
Cinder goes through so much in this story to understand who she really is, and just what she does discover may shock her system to the core. She won't see the reveals coming.
I saw clues throughout the book, and I was glad when they were confirmed. It's gonna be interesting to see how things progress from here on out, given the kind of cliffhanger we were left with. Marissa gave you enough to keep wanting and needing more.

This story has a mixture of mystery, greed, jealously and death.  If you are looking for a full-on romance between Cinderella and her Prince, this isn't it. I have a feeling a happily ever after for these two won't come easy, but who said love stories were anything but?

Thankfully, Scarlet just came out here, and I hope to start it soon. I know it focuses on a new couple, but I look forward to reading about new developments in this story.

Verdict: 5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment