Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review: Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Boundless (Unearthly #3) by Cynthia Hand
Publication Date: January 22, 2013
Publisher: Harper Teen
Number of Pages: 448
Format: Hardback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfil her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.


The final book in Hand's Unearthly series picks up right before Clara heads back to California to attend Stafford.  I wasn't too sure what to expect from this book since I knew it would heavily focus on Clara, Christian, and Angela. Jeffery is still missing and nobody seems to know where he has gone.

I noticed off hand that there's a lot of pop culture references in this book including Vampire Academy, That 70s Show, Star Trek, and one concerning dystopian books. Not too sure how I feel about a lot of references like that. Sometimes too much details isn't necessary. I'm a little disappointed that Clara and Angela aren't roommates, I would figure they would be. Also disappointed that we didn't see a lot of their friendship. Angela finally realizes her purpose, but it doesn't turn out like she thinks. We see a different Angela in this book as she takes a different road. Her Italian boyfriend even shows up again, and his true nature is exposed.

Jeffery shows up and would visit Clara. And we even see him meeting his "soul mate". From the beginning I knew something wasn't right about her. Clara's purpose is finally revealed. And it seems that everyone around her, Angela, Christian, and even Jeffery, their purposes are all tied together. I'm so glad that it turned out that Clara's purpose wasn't to be with Christian.

Speaking of Christian, let's get to the love triangle. Even though Clara has broken up with Tucker to protect him she hasn't stopped loving him. I had fell in love with Tucker and Clara from book one. But I won't deny there's a connection between her and Christian. But I never bought for one moment that Clara is in love with Christian. She's attracted to him, but her heart belongs to Tucker. This series is a good example of how a love triangle should go. There were no clear "winner" until the end. In the beginning I was kind of digging her and Christian, even though it's such a cliche. But then Tucker won me over, and even though in book two it seems like Clara and Tucker were growing apart, I've discovered that I really didn't like Christian. The end of the second book made me think she would end with Christian. And with this book kept you on your toes. At one point it seemed like Tucker and then the next Christian. One of the abilities Clara learned in this book was how to use glory to transport from place to place. Majority of the time she found herself in Tucker's barn. Even after her date with Christian when she left, she ended up at Tucker's. No matter what she did, she couldn't get him out of her system. I learned to like Christian better in this one. He really does love Clara, and that made me sad. Even told her that he would wait around 100 years for her. Which doesn't really make sense because of the 120 year rule. It would be the end of the time for them.

A few awesome quotes:

And now, almost two years later, I realized why. Tucker, never put any rum in my rum and Coke. That little stink. That overly protective, impossible, infuriating, and utterly sweet little stink.

"It's you, Clara. You're the only one, from the first day he saw you. He looks at you exactly the same way my daddy looks at my mom."

"I saw your face," he says. He means earlier. I stare at him. "I was surprised, that's all." He shakes his head. "No. You still love me."

I meet Tucker's eyes and swallow. This is the lie I'm not going to get away with. Because he's my home.

Even though Angela and even her brother thinks Christian is her soul mate, Clara has to make the final decision for herself. I think one of my favorite parts is that facing the evil chasing her they all wonder who is Christian, knowing she's in love with Tucker.

This book was almost perfect. It had some sweet moments. My only downside is that we never fully learned why Jeff's purpose was to set a fire to Tucker's land. And the lack of Clara and Angela's friendship. Or how little Wendy is mentioned. She after all Clara's original best friend. The epilogue was a little sketchy too. Wished it went into more detail. But overall the book was one wild ride. An awesome angel series.

Rating: 4/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment