Sunday, January 27, 2013

Review: Gates of Paradise by Melissa de la Cruz

Gates of Paradise (Blue Bloods #7) by Melissa de la Cruz
Publication Date: January 15, 2013
Publisher: Hyperion
Number of Pages: 355
Format: Hardback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

Schuyler Van Alen is running out of time. The Dark Prince of Hell is storming the Gates of Paradise, intent on winning the heavenly throne for good. This time he has his greatest angels by his side, Abbadon and Azrael—Jack and Mimi Force, as they are known in the Coven.

Or so he thinks. Even as Lucifer assigns Jack and Mimi the tasks of killing their true loves, the Force twins secretly vow to defeat the Dark Prince once and for all. But how far will Mimi and Jack go to conceal their real loyalties?

Meanwhile, former vampire Bliss Llewellyn has joined forces with Lawson, the greatest wolf of the underworld, to free his people from their imprisonment in Hell. As they struggle against impossible odds, an ancient message, woven into the very fabric of time, reveals just how much depends on the success of their mission.

Lucifer seeks the key to the Gate of Promise, and when Schuyler is taken captive and delivered straight to Hell, she must make an unthinkable choice—the same one the archangel Michael was forced to make during the Crisis in Rome. Will Schuyler find the strength to do what he could not?

The epic, heartbreaking Blue Bloods series comes to a close with this final novel about staggering courage, unbearable sacrifice, and the immortality of true love.

 The final book of Cruz's Blue Bloods series picks up a few months after Lost in Time left off. And while I'm sad that it's the last one, I couldn't help but devour the book in one sitting. Like all of her books, it's a very quick and easy read.

The book is divided into four different parts with each chapter rotating through Sky, Mimi, Bliss, and Allegra. Most of the book, the Allegra chapters are headed with the name Tomasia and tells us what really happened in Florence.  Which I had figured out during my re read. But who two of the characters turned out to be surprised me at first. Even though I had it figured out at the last minute before the big reveal. After that we get to see what actually happened during the Rome crisis. Which completely took me back surprise.

I just wished we got to see more of Allegra and Charles in the present day. We really didn't get to such much of any couple together. Except for Bliss and Lawson. And we did get a bit of Mimi and Kingsley, even though they were trying to kill each other half the time.

There were a few things that bugged me. During the chapters with Bliss they kept referring to the one night that took place in Wolf Pact. It was phrased the same way and was like it kept getting repeated. One mention is enough, we get it. I didn't understand why there was one chapter towards that end instead of having Bliss name, they put her angel name. I just thought it was odd. Then there was the big battle. I felt like it happened way too quickly, and was rushed. In fact I feel like a lot of the end was rushed.

I do have to say my favorite character in this book was Mimi. For once I had almost doubted Jack's intention. It seemed that Jack and Mimi had switched personalities. And we finally learn Sky's parentage. And big surprised, she has a secret sibling. Which I was right about. I knew Ben's ex fiancee was really pregnant referring back to Bloody Valentine. Honestly, I didn't want Sky to have another sister.

And we can't forget the deaths. Which thankfully wasn't any main characters, just a few minor ones. Even though they were minor characters, their deaths still tore at my heart. Everyone gets their happy endings, some of them surprised me, but the end of the book made me cry my eyes out.

This would of been an almost perfect book. I did feel that not every loose end was tied up. Allegra and Charles ending was left opened a little too much. I took it as they ended up together, but thinking about it, anything could of happened. Not to mention it wasn't explained how Sky has two fathers. Overall a perfect ending for everyone.

Rating: 4/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment