Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: Unbreakable by Elizabeth Norris

Unbreakable (Unravelling, #2) by Elizabeth Norris
Publisher: Harper collins
Publication date: June 6th, 2013
Number of pages: 416 pgs
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | Kindle | The Book Depository

24 meets the X Files in the amazing follow up to Unravelling.

Four months after Ben disappeared through the portal to his home universe, Janelle believes she’ll never see him again. Her world is still devastated, but civilisation is slowly rebuilding, and life is finally starting to resume some kind of normality. Until Interverse agent Taylor Barclay shows up. He’s got a problem, and he needs Janelle’s help. Somebody from an alternate universe is running a human trafficking ring – kidnapping people and selling them on different Earths. And Ben, with his unique abilities, is the prime suspect. To make things worse, Janelle learns that someone she cares about – someone from her own world – has become one of the missing.

Now Janelle has five days to track down the real culprit. Five days to locate the missing people before they’re lost forever. Five days to reunite with the boy who stole her heart. Can she uncover the truth before everyone she cares about is killed?

In this heart-pounding sequel to Unravelling, author Elizabeth Norris explores the sacrifices we make to save the people we love and the worlds we’ll travel to find them.

I absolutely loved Unravelling. I thought it had amazing mythology. Romance and mystery. Fantastic lead characters and sub characters. It was one of the better YA sci fi books I have read.
In Unbreakable, it has been four months since Ben left to go back to his own world. He said he would return but Janelle has yet to hear from him.
When Barclay suddenly turns out and tells her he needs her help in a mystery of disappearances, and that Ben is the prime suspect, she will do anything to help and clear his name.

Janelle couldn't understand when she discovers that Ben is back in her world but has yet to contact her. She also knows that there is no way he could do something like he is now accused of doing. The only thing she can do is believe in him and track him down.
But what will she find when she does locate him? Will he be the same Ben she knows and loves, or will he be someone differently that she hardly recognizes? So many questions and not enough time, as there is a race to the clock with only days to sort everything out.

This was a great book. I love how this series is so thrilling and exciting. As the time ticks down, you can't wait to see how these characters will solve the crime as the clockdown starts to tick down to the last second.
I admit, it's not what I thought this book would go down as, I probably liked it a little less than Unravelling, but it was still good enough. There just was not enough Ben, though I guess I can understand why, it just sucks.
I was glad I read Ben's novella not too long before this, so I know little bits of what transpired to get to this point and what happened to Ben while he was gone.

I really came to adore Barclay. I hated him in the first book, though I suppose he was not meant to be liked back then, but in Unbreakable, he became much of a prominent character and we came to understand him so much more than we ever did before.
The direction of his character was interesting, yet sad and heartbreaking. I liked the teamup with Jannelle. They were pretty good friends in this book, and that's where it ended for me. I could not see anything romantic between the two of them, her heart belonged to Ben, no matter what might or might not happen. There was parts of this book that I screamed at, or cried or wanted to shake some characters.

Ben and Janelle didn't have the perfect relationship. They had issues, as evident in this book. The way it ended for them, I was definitely happy with, but it wasn't how I thought it would have ended originally, but hey, who am I to complain?

In the end, I was sad this is to be the last book in the duology, because I felt there could be so much story to tell, but maybe one day....
I loved this series from start to finish, and definitely a recommend read for those like Sci fi + time travelling + mystery.

Rating: 4.5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment