Friday, November 29, 2013

Review: Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Sentinel (Covenant #5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: November 2, 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Number of Pages: 297
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

It's a beautiful day for a war.

As the mortal world slowly slips into chaos of the godly kind, Alexandria Andros must overcome a stunning defeat that has left her shaken and in doubt of their ability to end this war once and for all.

And with all the obstacles between Alex and her happily-ever-after with the swoonworthy Aiden St. Delphi, they must now trust a deadly foe as they travel deep into the Underworld to release one of the most dangerous gods of all time.

In the stunning, action-packed climax to the bestselling Covenant series, Alex must face a terrible choice: the destruction of everything and everyone she holds dear… or the end of herself.

All I have to say is thank god the series is over. The books in the middle I loved, but the first book and these last two books? Not so much. I only read this since it was the end of the series, and I was curious about Seth. This will probably be a short review since I don't want to spoil anything.

I ended up skimming through a lot of the book. I just couldn't bring myself to actually read a lot of the scenes, especially the Alex and Aiden ones. They are just so boring. From the moment I started reading I just wanted to bang my head against something hard. There was a situation in the beginning of the book that almost made me put down the put and not continue. It was really unnecessary, especially in an YA book. Also, there's way too much pop culture references in this series. Don't get me wrong, I love references but there's a right and wrong way to do them. This series is filled with them, and in 10 years if someone picked up this series and read it, they would be like wtf is this. I prefer books/series that make references without actually naming them. Not to mention the term cray-cray was actually used. Come on, really? Yes that term is hot right now, but it's a fad.

I wasn't even impressed when Seth first came into the book. I get it, to redeem him he had to act a little ooc. But I was so glad when Seth went back to the one we grew to love. But what really saved the book, or at least made it bearable was when Apollo showed up.  He's by far, my favorite character in the book.

The book itself, wasn't all that bad. It was decent. The ending was a bit of a surprised though. And it actually made me want to cry. But the twist of events, well I knew it was coming how it all ended.

I still believe this series, especially the first book is a rip off of Vampire Academy. I'm sorry but I don't believe it's a coincidence, and she's never read VA, there's too much similarities.  I want to like this author, but this series made it so hard. Although I have a few of her other books on my tbr list, I'm not sure if I want to read them.


Rating: 2/5





 


1 comment:

  1. Oh bummer. This was my first series by the author but yet I have grown to love her! Her other YA series the Lux books are really good. Teenage aliens and whatnot...not a total Roswell ripoff either, it just happens to be teenage aliens in it!

    Hope you enjoy your next read better! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete