Friday, November 22, 2013

Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth
Publication Date: October 22, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Format: Hardback
Number of Pages: 526
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

I've been in a reading slump lately. For the last few months it has taken me at least two weeks to finish anything. But this-I finished in two days. Not sure if it's because it's the first YA I've read in months, since YA usually are quick reads. I will admit I was nervous about reading this. I heard a lot of people hated the ending, and it even made people who heard about it before hand refuse to read it, and I even know of someone who doesn't even want to see the movie. Although I had decided I didn't want to know how the book ended, I ended up reading reviews a few days before I started the book and then ended up spoiling myself. Not that I had already somewhat guessed the ending.

Sitting here hours after I finished the book, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I wouldn't go as far as I thought it was amazing, but it was almost there. I didn't like the multiple POVs. Both Tris and Four's pov were too similiar. I couldn't really tell them apart. During Four's chapters I had to keep reminding myself whose chapter it was. I've never really been a big fan of the guy's POV in YA books. They are tricky and most authors can't nail them down. And the truth behind the factions and even what exactly Divergent is was disappointing. I was hoping, no expecting for more.

Another thing is Tris and Four was constantly in a bad place with each other. It tore my heart apart. I wasn't a big fan of Four's characterization in the novel either. He was this amazing, strong guy in the first two. But because of certain revelations he became this broken person, unsure of himself. I loved Tris' growth though, and the growth of hers and Four's relationship.

I don't want to go too much into detail and spoil the book for anyone. But the ending was so tragic and heartbreaking, even knowing it ahead of time. I wanted to scream and cry. Even wanting to cry my eyes out.

I know most people hated the ending. Said it was pointless, and ruined the series. But it made sense to me. The book is about self-sacrifice, love, betrayal, and family. Thinking back on the last two books there was foreshadowing. And everyone should remember this is dystopian fiction. This genre isn't about romance and happy endings. Veronica Roth made a bold move, and I respect her for that. She knew that it would upset people. Maybe it wouldn't of hit so hard if the romance didn't seem to be the core of the series.

Rating: 4/5





 

No comments:

Post a Comment