Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Review: Chosen at Nightfall by C.C Hunter

Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls #5) by C.C Hunter
Publisher: St Martins Press
Publication date: April 23rd, 2013
Number of pages: 400 pgs
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

Kylie Galen's life hasn't been the same since her world was turned upside-down in Born at Midnight, Shadow Falls #1, and now an epic conclusion to her journey—not to mention a tough choice between two guys!—is brewing in Chosen at Nightfall:

When Kylie Galen left Shadow Falls, she thought it was the hardest decision of her life. Heartbroken and separated from everyone she loves, she has to embrace her abilities and what it means to be a chameleon. But as Kylie's journey comes to a close, she must return to the camp that started it all...and she must finally chose between the two boys who love her. The werewolf who broke her heart when he chose his pack over her, and the half-fae who ran from their intense attraction before they ever really had a chance. For Kylie, everything will finally be revealed and nothing will ever be the same.

It's a shame I have to do a review like this considering how much I adored the first four books. I had such high hopes for the finale and thought I knew how it would end, but I was unfortunately, very much mistaken.
A part of me wishes I hadn't read this book, and to me, it ended with the end of book 4. SIGH. Some things just aren't always the way you know they should go, that authors don't always share the same opinion as us, and in this case it seems to be the very matter.

In the final book to Kylie's story at Shadow Falls, are taken back into her life as she spends some time away from the camp. She soon discovers she is safer at Shadow Falls than she is anywhere else.
The story picks up just a few weeks after she has left the camp and finds herself in a place amongst her own kind. She discover things about what she is and what it means, and how everything all works. When Kylie sees a ghost (of course)who tells her that she has to kill him or she'll be killed. Not many options here.

Burnett and co soon turn up warning her of Mario who may know her location and that she has to come back to the camp where is the only place she can be safe, so off she goes, unknowing what or whom she will awaiting her there.

There wasn't many things I liked about this book. Derek. Burnett and Holiday. Kylie frustrated me to no end. I understand and sometimes feel sorry for her; she doesn't have the easiest life and so many problems being thrown at her, but she makes a very bad decision and one that makes no sense.
April and I were sure who Kylie would choose especially after the end of the previous book, but it's like everything that happened.. never happened and nothing made sense. There was no excusing the events that transpired prior to this, and imo, the choice should have been an easy one. But I felt like she never gave one boy a real chance and gave up way too quickly.
The other one though, I never liked. Or sometimes I did, and then he would go and do something do douche that made me dislike him once again. Every ounce of common sense that Kylie once had must have been slapped out of her --  or, I don't know.. Its the only thing that makes sense to me as to her stupid choice she makes. I literally felt sick after reading this book.
What is this meant to show the readers? That it's OKAY to choose someone who hurts you time and time again, who chooses to commit to something and be a coward? I'm clueless.  

While everyone seems to get their happy ending, and I'm glad that Derek ended up with his own happy ending, it also felt contrived and put there because of Kylie's choice. It's like.. okay, let's put him with someone so he doesn't mope around.
His happiness was all I cared for at this point, and I guess I was happy enough that in the end he did get what he deserves.

I was very disappointed in the way this book turned out, and sadly, it's put me off on reading the spinoff. I just can't do it.

Rating: 2.5/5








No comments:

Post a Comment