Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Review: The Trouble With Fate by Leigh Evans

The Trouble With Fate (Mystwalker, #1) by Leigh Evans
Publisher: St.Martins.
Publication date: December 24th, 2012
Number of pages: 344 pgs
Format: Mass-market Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | KindleThe Book Depository

Meet Hedi Peacock. She's half Fae. Half Were. And all trouble…

I Have Two Words For Werewolves:

My name is Hedi Peacock and I have a secret. I’m not human, and I have the pointy Fae ears and Were inner-bitch to prove it. As fairy tales go, my childhood was damn near perfect, all fur and magic until a werewolf killed my father and the Fae executed my mother. I’ve never forgiven either side. Especially Robson Trowbridge. He was a part-time werewolf, a full-time bastard, and the first and only boy I ever loved. That is, until he became the prime suspect in my father’s death…

Bite Me.

Today I’m a half-breed barista working at a fancy coffee house, living with my loopy Aunt Lou and a temperamental amulet named Merry, and wondering where in the world I’m going in life. A pretty normal existence, considering. But when a pack of Weres decides to kidnap my aunt and force me to steal another amulet, the only one who can help me is the last person I ever thought I’d turn to: Robson Trowbridge. And he’s as annoyingly beautiful as I remember. That’s the trouble with fate: Sometimes it barks. Other times it bites. And the rest of the time it just breaks your heart. Again…


Meet Hedi Peacock. Half were. Half fae. Definitely all trouble.

This book was recommended to me by a friend who thought I'd like it. I could kick myself for not getting around to reading it sooner than I did. I definitely loved it.
I loved Hedi. She is a strong, passionate, head-strong woman who has been through way too much in her life. She lost her parents and her brother in one night, and has one person to blame for it -- her old crush, Robson Trowbridge, who comes crashing back into her life whether she likes it or not.

When her aunt gets kidnapped by a pack of weres and forces her to steal something, the only person that can help her is the last person she would ever go to.
Going by Bridge now, he never expected to see Hedi again, and he doesn't quite remember her, since it has been over 10 years since that very night that not only changed her life forever, but also his own as well.
When the pair of them are forced to work together, something begins to transpire between them, something that has been lingering between them for way too long, especially for her, who has been in love with him since high school, and it will be something they can't ignore.

The chemistry between them is sizzling, but they have many issues between them that will determine whether a future is in the cards for these two love birds, mainly is whether he is still pining over his dead wife. Yeah... that's always a cockblocker, right?
The other thing? Hedi remembering that his family being the cause of the murder of her family and the kidnapping of her twin brother, who she has not seen since.

This was a very strong debut, and as soon as I finished it, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the sequel, because that cliffhanger? Yeah.. you just needed to know what was going to happen next for these two.

A debut as strong as anything, Leigh Evans does an amazing job with the kickass characters, mythology and world-building to boot.

A definite recommend read.

Rating: 4.5/5





 


No comments:

Post a Comment