Monday, July 29, 2013

Review: Magic Rises from Ilona Andrews

Magic Rises (Kate Daniels #6) by Ilona Andrews
Publication Date: July 30, 2013
Publisher: ACE
Number of Pages: 327
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

Atlanta is a city plagued by magical problems. Kate Daniels will fight to solve them—no matter the cost.

Mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate, Curran, the Beast Lord, are struggling to solve a heartbreaking crisis. Unable to control their beasts, many of the Pack’s shapeshifting children fail to survive to adulthood. While there is a medicine that can help, the secret to its making is closely guarded by the European packs, and there’s little available in Atlanta.

Kate can’t bear to watch innocents suffer, but the solution she and Curran have found threatens to be even more painful. The European shapeshifters who once outmaneuvered the Beast Lord have asked him to arbitrate a dispute—and they’ll pay him in medicine. With the young people’s survival and the Pack’s future at stake, Kate and Curran know they must accept the offer—but they have little doubt that they’re heading straight into a trap…

What's that you say? This book isn't out till tomorrow? Yes I know. But I happened to won a copy from a giveaway on Goodreads. I was beyond excited. And of course after waiting two years I couldn't wait to read it.

Both Curran and Kate has been asked to arbitrate a dispute and to protect a pregnant shapeshifter from the European packs. They both know it's a trap, but being paid in medicine that will help the children stop going loup. They can't ignore it and must go. But they aren't stupid enough to go alone, and take with them a team. The only one that I'm sad didn't go was Jim. I really do love him, and I thought it would feel weird not having him around. But in his place we get his sister, Kira. Love Kira, who is equally amusing.

They all are staying at a castle in a neutral area. The lord of the castle is human, but is widely respected by the shapeshifters and even have them as guards. The first holy shit moment happens, the lord turns out to be Hugh, Roland's warlord. And what seems to be a filler book suddenly turns into something much more. But Kate can't figure out what Hugh is up to, he's not actively trying to kill Kate nor seems like he has alerted Roland. I was fully expecting to hate Hugh. But DAMNIT! I ended up liking him, and seems like he's interested in Kate more than just turning her into Roland.

But Hugh isn't the only thing Kate has to worry about. The shapeshifter princess from the Alaskan pack is there. And it's obvious that she wants Kate's position. And as everyone keeps telling her, she's easy to replace since her and Curran aren't married.

The book isn't all sunshine and unicorns. It's emotional draining for Kate and Curran. Through majority of the book I just wanted to jump in there and beat him. There were plenty of times where I just wanted to throw the book out the window. I wanted to cry through most of the book. Trust me, when you read this book have lots of tissues around you. And a punching bag, and someone/something to scream at. There were times where I wanted to fine Ilona and just scream at them and ask why. But hold on to hope. It will be worth it in the end.

There's an almost death that had me in tears. And who saves the character will shock you to the core. But just when you think they may all get home safe, a shocking death that you never saw coming. I never thought I would miss this person.

Amazing isn't the word for this book. I haven't read a book/series that made me feel this way since Fever series by KMM. It will make you laugh, cry, scream, punch things. After I was done all I could do was sit there, and cry. It's been two days since I've finished the book and I still can't get over it. I find myself skimming through the book and re reading passages. Ilona Andrews have outdone themselves. Hands down the best book in the series yet.

Tomorrow when the bookstores open, run don't walk. You will not be disappointed in this book. This book deserves a million stars.

Rating: 5/5









No comments:

Post a Comment