Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Review: The Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross

The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles #3) by Kady Cross
Publication Date: May 28, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Number of Pages: 384
Format: Hardback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

When mechanical genius Emily is kidnapped by rogue automatons, Finley Jayne and her fellow misfits fear the worst. What's left of their archenemy, The Machinist, hungers to be resurrected, and Emily must transplant his consciousness into one of his automatons—or forfeit her friends' lives.

With Griffin being mysteriously tormented by the Aether, the young duke's sanity is close to the breaking point. Seeking help, Finley turns to Jack Dandy, but trusting the master criminal is as dangerous as controlling her dark side. When Jack kisses her, Finley must finally confront her true feelings for him...and for Griffin.

Meanwhile, Sam is searching everywhere for Emily, from Whitechapel's desolate alleyways to Mayfair's elegant mansions. He would walk into hell for her, but the choice she must make will test them more than they could imagine.

To save those she cares about, Emily must confront The Machinist's ultimate creation—an automaton more human than machine. And if she's to have any chance at triumphing, she must summon a strength even she doesn't know she has....

Not sure why it's taken me a few months to read this since I've been dying to get my hands on it. Maybe since it's been a while since I read the first two? Out of sight out of mind?

The book books picks up a few months after the second. There's something wrong with Griffin and he's hiding it from not only Finely but the whole gang. He's not sleeping, eating, or even really coming out of his room majority of the time. But he most pull it together when Emily is kidnapped. Finding her is important to everybody, especially Sam. Right before she was kidnapped Emily confessed her love to Sam. Before he could respond Jasper says he needs his help. He's determined to find Emily and tell her how he feels before it's too late.

What makes this series so unique is that it focuses on each person in the whole group instead of just Finely. Very rare in YA. While I do adore Emily, I just really couldn't get into the book. I found myself for the most part skimming over her parts, just wanting to get back to Finely and Griffin. I was glad to see that there was more Jack Dandy in this one than the previous. Watching Griffin get all jealous over him always made me smile. Which in this book the relationship between Griffin and Finely definitely heats up. There's just wasn't enough of them in this book, which is understandable. This book was more of about Emily and Sam. Which Sam and Finely were able to be more civil towards each other. And I am glad. I want the whole group to be close.

Like I said, I ended up skimming through a lot of the book. It just couldn't really hold my attention. I honestly can't tell you about them saving Emily. By the time I realized she was saved and the Machinist was dead again, I was already beyond that point. I hope future books are better, especially since I fell in love with the first two books.

Rating:3/5





 

No comments:

Post a Comment