Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Apollyon by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Apollyon (Covenant #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: April 4, 2013
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Number of Pages: 343
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

Fate isn’t something to mess with… and now, neither is Alex.

Alex has always feared two things: losing herself in the Awakening and being placed on the Elixir. But love has always been stronger than Fate, and Aiden St. Delphi is willing to make war on the gods—and Alex herself—to bring her back.

The gods have killed thousands and could destroy entire cities in their quest to stop Seth from taking Alex’s power and becoming the all-powerful God Killer. But breaking Alex’s connection to Seth isn’t the only problem. There are a few pesky little loopholes in the whole “an Apollyon can’t be killed” theory, and the only person who might know how to stop the destruction has been dead for centuries.

Finding their way past the barriers that guard the Underworld, searching for one soul among countless millions, and then somehow returning will be hard enough. Alex might be able to keep Seth from becoming the God Killer… or she might become the God Killer herself.

 From the last book I pretty much stopped shipping Alex and Seth. I recognized that her heart will always belong to Aiden, BUT I just can't like him. Even so I had high hopes for this book. But if left me feeling disappointed. It took me almost a week to read this book. I just couldn't get into it, and I would go days without even reading or even remember I was reading it. Even though I'm Team Seth, while Alex was under the influence of the bond, I hated how she referred to him as "my Seth". It made it sound like he owned her. Which that is another thing that bugged me, the bond. Earlier books made it seem like the bond was this powerful thing and almost impossible to break. But Alex remembering her love for Aiden broke it no problem. I guess the message was that their love is more powerful than the bond? I was hoping we would get to see Alex and Seth together before she broke the bond.

Speaking of Seth, we barely saw him in the book. We saw conversations between him and Alex through their connection, and there was a scene where he was able to pull her into his subconscious. I'm still holding on to some hope that he can be redeemed. Like Alex has realized he just wants to be accepted and loved and he's drunk on power. Another question arosed in this book about Seth. Alex and every other Apollyon eye's turned amber once they awakened, but Seth was born with amber eyes, the eyes of the Apollyon. Why?

The first half of the book was very slow, but if you love Aiden/Alex then you will probably love it. It was too much for me. I guess not enough action. I ended up skimming through a lot of it. I was ready to give up on the book, but the second half really picked up the pace and had me interested again. Alex travels back to the Underworld to seek out Solaris. There she finds out the secret to stopping Seth. But if seems impossible, she must transfer his power to herself and become the God Killer instead of Seth.

 We finally find out what god is responsible for Seth and behind the destruction. Honestly I wanted to slap Alex for not realizing it sooner.  I swear these books needs to have more of the gods in them, especially Apollo. I loved at the end when Apollo tells Alex a story behind one of his sons and tell hers the moral of the story is he always finds a way to take care of his own. I swear if Alex wasn't a descendant from him I would so ship Alex and Apollo.

Overall this book was blah to me. Not sure why I didn't noticed it till now but there are tons and tons of pop culture references in this series. Which I do find neat and usually enjoy. But what about ten years down the road? It's not going to appeal to those who pick the book up then. I did enjoy one that I'm pretty sure is a reference to the author's LUX series (which is on my tbr list and dying to start). I'm glad there's only one more book in the series. With how this book turned out, I'm not sure I could take much more. I'm curious how things will be wrapped up.

Rating: 2.5/5





 



No comments:

Post a Comment