Saturday, February 23, 2013

Review: The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore

The Power of Six (Lorien Legacies #2) by Pittacus Lore
Publication Date: August 23, 2011
Publisher: Harper Collins
Number of Pages: 406
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.

And I'm ready to fight.

I've been putting off reading this book for the past year and a half. Why? Honestly I have no clue, since I loved the first book. And now I find myself hitting myself in the head for not reading it sooner.

The story alternates between two POV, the first one is Number Seven who has been living in a Catholic owned orphanage in Spain. Her protector has stopped talking about their purpose and acts like it all was a fairy tale. It's not long before she befriends the new 7 year old girl, Ella. Right away I knew there was something special about her. But how much longer can she stay hidden?

The second POV shows us, John/Four, Six, and Sam on the run. Unsure of where to go, they head to Florida. But when their location is discovered they must flee once again. It takes a while, but John finally opens the letter that Henri left him. There were a few surprises, but the one that wasn't a big surprised is that Sam's dad was an ally and that Sam has been right all along that he was kidnapped.

I originally found Seven POV was boring. It did pick up about half way through. The twist with Ella was surprising. And I knew the mentioned of a second ship in the first book meant something. Which I find the past the most fascinating and want to know more about Lorien. So far I do think my favorite character is Six. The only issue I had with this, was whenever John would find himself flirting with Six or feeling guilty he would repeat that he loves Sarah, or Sarah is the girl for him. Mentioning it once is enough, I don't need to be reminded every other page. It almost seems like that he kept repeating it for his benefit, that he was trying to convince himself. If you haven't guessed I'm not a fan of John and Sarah. I really do want to see him and Six together.

This is a first for me, even though there is romance in the books, I'm not really interested in the romance. The action is what originally intrigued me about the story. While the book is kind of slow to start out with, there's plenty of action, along with a betrayal from Sarah and poor Sam gets left behind. And even rescuing Number Nine whose been capture for the last year.

If you love action then you should love this series. And I'll make sure this time I don't wait so long to read the next book.

Rating: 4/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment