Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi

Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5) by Tahereh Mafi
Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Harper
Number of Pages: 103
Format: Ebook
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

If I hated Shatter Me so much why did I read this book? Well honestly I was bribed. Not to mention Warner did intrigued me.

For the most part the novella bored me. I found myself skimming the second half. In the short story Warner is injured from where Juliette had shot him in the first book. We realized that Warner isn't really that crazy and psycho. That would be his dad, who has mentally abused Warner all his life. Warner finds Juliette's notebook, and find myself falling even in more in love with her.

I'm kind of torn between how I really feel about this. Warner is a completely different person in this novella than in the first book. I do feel sorry for him, and actually starting to really like him. But there's a part of me that wonders if Mafi decided she didn't want Warner to be this crazy psycho murderer and wrote this to redeem his character. Having a psycho in a love triangle wouldn't work.

The writing style in this is a thousand times better. If the books were in this writing style I wouldn't mind continuing with the series. But there was a peek at book two and I skimmed through it a bit. Definitely not finishing the series. But I'm intrigued enough to get my friends to tell me how it all ends.

Rating: 2/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment