Monday, May 14, 2012

Jen's review of "Halflings" by Heather Burch

Halflings by Heather Burch
Publication date: February 1st, 2012
Publisher: Zondervan Publishing
Number of pages: 288
Format: Kindle - Thanks to Netgalley
Description: After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret—and the wings that come with.

A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys’ powers, as well as her role in a scientist’s dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.
First off, I would like to thank Netgalley for allowing me to review this book, as it has been something I have wanted to read for awhile. Next up. This book I quite enjoyed, but I do have a few complaints which I will go into soon enough. Nikki Youngblood is a very strong and kickass heroine who will do as she pleases and doesn't care what is happening. She'll be one of those girls that do head first into danger, not because she isn't scared, but because she is brave and refuses to run away from what scares her.

Then there are her two heroes who have a job to do and that is to guard her. Mace and Raven, who both find themselves falling in love with the young girl. They aren't alone. Nikki finds herself drawn to their whole family, which becomes her family the more time they spend together as a group.

As expected the relationship between Nikki, Mace and Raven soon develops into a sort of love triangle, or at least, the makings of one.
As much as I enjoyed this book, and Mace *swoon*, I do have some complaints.

I kind of felt this book was very similar to other books I have read. I know, a lot of books in this genre can tend to feel similar, while keeping their own unique feel to it. But I guess I was kind of expecting something else.

But I do applaud Burch for the world that she creates and the characters, which I did enjoy, and I look forward toward the 2nd book in this series to see where the plot takes me and to see how the relationships develop between the characters.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment