Saturday, May 5, 2012

April's review of 'Destined' by Aprilynne Pike

Destined (Wings #4) by Aprilynne Pike 
Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Number of Pages: 320
Format: Hardback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Description:  Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear.

He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.

She hated how much it felt like good-bye.


Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful—and deadly—of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series

Destined picks up right where Illusions left off, with Yuki trapped in a chair, while everyone else tries to get answers. When I first heard that the whole book takes place within 24 hours I was a little weary, but Pike makes it work. When Klea shows up to rescue Yuki, it's finally revealed what and who she really is. And more surprisingly that Shar has knows her really well. I do have to admit that the nickname Klea calls Shar is pretty funny. Shar fights Klea, while Tamani escapes with Laurel. With Klea admitting she knows where the gate is, Laurel and Tamani has no choice but race to Avalon to warn them, taking along David and Chelsea, and for the first time in a thousand years humans are admitted to Avalon. What comes next is the biggest battle that even Laurel is afraid that not everyone will make it out alive. 

I'm trying to hard to keep this spoiler free, when I just want to shout what exactly happens in the book. Going into the book I knew there was a big death, looking back on who I thought I would be ok with dying, I was right on who it was, but I was anything but ok with it. And with it being near the beginning of the book, all I wanted to do was cry my eyes out through out the whole book. There were even a few more deaths, and one of them well I wasn't expecting that one. Laurel and Tamani even shares a few tender moments. I have a new fondness for David in this book. He risked everything to help Avalon, and by the end of the book even formed a one of a kind friendship with Tamani. Jamison was amazing throughout the whole book, and at the end we come to a full understanding of why he voted for Laurel for the scion mission, and even why he helped Tamani so much. Laurel does make her choice, and while I won't revealed who it is, but I was thrilled to no end. (Which if you want to know just look back at my reviews on the other books and you could figure it out) I did like the ending, it wasn't a definite ending. She did leave it open to your imagination, and if she ever decides to write more books for the series it's very possible. There's a letter at the end of the book, along with a note from Pike. The letter is the real ending that Pike had intended before she even wrote the first book, and is very bittersweet. More so with this book we see that the series is more about David and Chelsea, and how humans react and coop with learning there's real magic in the world. 

Rating: 5/5
 

No comments:

Post a Comment