Tuesday, August 21, 2012

April's review of 'The Hidden' by Jessica Verday

The Hidden (The Hollow #3) by Jessica Verday
Publication Date: September 6, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Number of Pages: 389
Format:  Hardback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Description:  A love that knows no bounds.

Abbey knows that Caspian is her destiny. Theirs is a bond that transcends even death. But as Abbey finally learns the full truth about the dark fate that links her to Caspian and ties them both to the town of Sleepy Hollow, she suddenly has some very hard choices to make. Caspian may be the love of her life, but is that love worth dying for?

Beautifully spun, emotionally gripping, and irresistibly romantic, The Hidden will leave you breathless.


It's no secret that I'm not particularly fond of this series. I wasn't overly excited to read this book. It was more of 'I'm going to read it so I'll be done with the series'. I did enjoy the books, but I could never connect with Abbey. I wasn't even surprise at the way it ended. I knew it was coming. The whole plot kind of reminded of Twilight, and while I still love Twilight, in this book I thought she was very stupid to give up her whole life just to be with a boy. Abbey had future dreams. In the end I understood her decision better, but it made the whole three books pointless. 

I adore Caspian, I really do. And like I just said I couldn't connect with Abbey. So in a result, I couldn't connect with them as a couple. I really did love their scenes on his Death Day. But for the most part, I really really wanted Abbey and Ben to get together. I wanted Abbey to move on with her life. Even before she had made her decision or even knew she was his other half, she should of known her and Caspian would have no future together.

For a book I wasn't that excited to read, I was surprised at how quickly I was able to read it. There was even a new character, Cyn introduce. Even though I get that she's some kind of witch, and served the purpose for Abbey to communicate to Kristen a few times, I thought her character was kind of point less. When everything came into a full circle and the holes were filled I wanted to roll my eyes. The reason Vincent wanted to keep Abbey alive? I just wanted to hit my head on something. Very selfish and was expecting something more. I still don't understand why Vincent thought Kristin was Caspian's other half. Or even why his partner wasn't with him. Or even why Caspian was drawn to Abbey in the first place and showed up at Kristen's funeral. There was plenty of scenes that was pointless. Like the girl from the insane asylum. I would of thought the girl was important to the storyline, but nope. I loved the fact that her mom rented the empty store, but to do it then? In the beginning of Abbey's senior year? Unrealistic. 

In the end, the books are descent. Not the best series I have read in the world. And really a disappointment from what I originally thought they would be about.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment