Thursday, August 23, 2012

April's review of 'Born at Midnight' by C.C. Hunter

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls #1) by C.C. Hunter
Publication Date: March 29, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Number of Pages: 398
Format: Paperback
Description:  Don’t miss this spectacular new series that will steal your heart and haunt your dreams, Welcome to Shadow Falls camp, nestled deep in the woods of a town called Fallen…

One night Kylie Galen finds herself at the wrong party, with the wrong people, and it changes her life forever. Her mother ships her off to Shadow Falls—a camp for troubled teens, and within hours of arriving, it becomes painfully clear that her fellow campers aren’t just “troubled.” Here at Shadow Falls, vampires, werewolves, shapshifters, witches and fairies train side by side—learning to harness their powers, control their magic and live in the normal world.

Kylie’s never felt normal, but surely she doesn’t belong here with a bunch of paranormal freaks either. Or does she? They insist Kylie is one of them, and that she was brought here for a reason. As if life wasn’t complicated enough, enter Derek and Lucas. Derek’s a half-fae who’s determined to be her boyfriend, and Lucas is a smokin’ hot werewolf with whom Kylie shares a secret past. Both Derek and Lucas couldn’t be more different, but they both have a powerful hold on her heart.

Even though Kylie feels deeply uncertain about everything, one thing is becoming painfully clear—Shadow Falls is exactly where she belongs…

Being a teenager is hard. But for Kylie it's one sucky situation after another. First her boyfriend breaks up with her because she wouldn't have sex with her. Then her Nana dies, and her parents announce they are divorcing. To top it all off, some weird army guy is stalking Kylie but no one else seems to be able to see him. When her best friend Sara drags her to a party, she finds herself at the police station that night. With help from her psychiatrist, her mom believes that Kylie is trouble and send her away to a camp for trouble teens. But it doesn't take long for Kylie to realized that these aren't just troubled teens, they are also supernatural. 

I instantly loved this book. The plot had reminded me of Hex Hall. Even though I do love Kylie, there were many points in the book where I just wanted to slap her. While I get why she does it, her constant denial about her just being normal was an over load. Who really is hoping they have a brain tumor or is crazy over the idea of being supernatural? And honestly I didn't understand the point of her friend's Sara's pregnancy scare. It wasn't important towards the plot. And the whole Trey situation. I understand that he broke her heart, and she still has feeling towards him. Like Kylie, I believe he truly cares for her, but he puts his want for sex before his feelings for her. And because of that, during that first phone call Kylie should of told him no and to leave her alone. 

This is one of the few books that I'm torn on which love interest I want to see Kylie with. In the beginning there were things with each guy that I didn't like. With Derek I hated the fact that he reminds Kylie of Trey. And Lucas, while there's the whole cat thing. To me it almost seems obvious that Kylie is going to chose Lucas. And here's the trouble with me. I want to be Team Derek, but my heart is cheering for Lucas. I see Derek as the safe choose. Just when I think I've finally decided on a "team", I change my mind again. 

Even though I love this book, it's YA and YA tends to be a little predictable. I knew Sky was behind whatever was going on. And honestly I'm a little disappointed that it was over that quickly when it's revealed what was going on. But I didn't see that as the big plot in the book. The book was about Kylie figuring out who she really is, which she doesn't figure it out completely, but she's one step closer.  And the first time Kylie is pulled into the ghost's memory, I knew exactly who he was.

In the end I just simply couldn't put the book down. And I can't wait to read the other books. 


Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment