Sunday, July 8, 2012

Jen's review of "The Iron Knight" by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey #4) by Julie Kagawa
Publication date: October 26th, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Number of pages: 394
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon |  The Book Depository
Summary: Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.


To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
In the conclusion to Ash & Meghan's story comes a thrilling and action packed adventure that brings us to the final book in the Iron Fey series. At the end of The Iron Queen, Ash and Puck were set on a quest of a lifetime. Ash was going to try find a way to become human. The only way he can be with Meghan, and he is willing to do anything he can, no matter what it takes. 

This book was in Ash's POV, which was interesting to read.. I admit, while I did like him.. I didn't love him as much as others out there. I was more of a Puck fan.
So this book, by being inside his head gave me a new appreciation for him, and I found a new fondness that I came to accept and understand about him.
I really came to like his relationship with Meghan. Although I have never been their biggest fan, but still liked them, I found myself enjoying them more over the course of the books.
The things that he went through , and they weren't easy, to be with her.. was quite endearing and admirable. It was quite nice to see him on his journey for true love.

I loved his love/hate friendship with Puck. I think that has been one of my favourite things about the series. The way they interact with one another, and their history... it always made me look forward to their scenes, and I was happy to see this book focus a lot on that, and came to the resolution that it did by the end.
There was certainly some reveals that I didn't see coming, but I think they were done for a reason.. for Ash to be able to forgive Puck and be able to finally really move on from his past, which has haunted him for such a long time.

Puck. Oh Puck.
My favourite character. I loved that we got to see so much of him in this book, more so than any other book in this series. And while it didn't center on him, this story certainly found him in the spotlight. I hope that someday soon we get him front and center and have his own book, or get his own happy ending, as he deserves it so much.

Rating: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment