Monday, August 5, 2013

Review: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

Storm (Elementals, #1) by Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Publication date: May 1st, 2012
Number of pages: 368 pgs
Format:  Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

Earth. Fire. Air. Water.

When Becca Chandler saves Chris Merrick from being beaten-up in the school car park, she has no idea how dramatically this one action will change her life. Chris is no ordinary guy and neither are his three older brothers. The Merrick boys are Elementals. Hot. Powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

Then there's Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time. With her life at stake, Becca doesn't know who to trust or whose secrets she should keep. and with two boy vying for her affections, and pressure rising all around her, will she find out in time who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all?

Take Cover.
The storm is coming!

The debut novel to this outstanding new series blew me away more than I could ever say. I had heard so much about this breathtaking series to a point where I thought maybe I would be let down with the hype I had been hearing.
I gotta say --  I was thankful where the hype lived up to my own view on this book.

When you have interesting characters, a world that hooks you in and with mythology to boot, that is a recipe for a great series to come.

Becca Chandler was just an ordinary teenage girl, but after witnessing the beating of a boy after taking some defense classes, she does the crazy thing --  scare off the attackers and rescue the boy who is wounded and bleeding to a pulp. It turns out that this boy ends up being one of the brothers who are known for their bad boy status.
This very act pushes Becca into a world she never would have expected, but one she can't help but involved in.  The moment she takes Chris Merrick home, that is the very very moment when things change for Becca, and for Chris.  These two will find themselves so involved in one another's lives.
Then she meets Hunter... he is the new boy in town and finds himself helping Becca.

I fell in love with these characters right away. From Becca and Chris --  who I wished would get their act together and realize their feelings for one another, to Hunter and the other Merrick brothers. I didn't like Michael in the beginning, but as the story went on, I slowly began to understand why he is the way he is.  It helps to read the prequel to this story, which is Michael's story and what happened to bring him to this position he is in.

The mythology which Brigid created with this series I loved just as quickly. The fact that a group of brothers each have an individual ability, who have a curse. They are dark, but they feel so much emotion.

I bought the next two books very quickly, I now have to get to reading them.

Rating: 5/5








1 comment:

  1. I just read and reviewed this book too! I LOVED it! (You can read my review here if you're interested.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete