Monday, August 19, 2013

Review: If I Should Die by Amy Plum

If I Should Die (Revenants #3) by Amy Plum
Publisher: Atom
Publication date: May 1st, 2013
Number of pages: 408 pgs
Format: Paperback
Purchase: Amazon | The Book Depository

I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.

After what we've already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying - to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others - so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me?


If I Should Die is the final in this romantic and dark trilogy. The end of the previous installment we saw Kate discovering her beloved could very well be dead after his body being taken and burned by a bitch from hell.
Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, the events that take place in this final book just about break your heart, but also melt it too.

I've been a pretty big fan of this series. It's a series that sets itself apart from all the other things in YA right now, which was a breath of fresh air. It took on a unique thing and made it into so much more than I could have even anticipated.
I couldnt have imagined how much I would adore these characters, the setting and everything they all endured between the first and third books.
I looked forward to seeing how everything would end for these characters, and I was very satisfied.

There was a couple things that stopped from giving this a full 5 star rating. The way Jules ended up and how something that happened felt contrived when I read it. I suppose now that I think about it, it does make sense going back to the beginning, but still.. highly coincidental.

The story picks up pretty much where the previous book left off. Kate is in shambles as she goes to alert the others as to what had happened. Of course, everyone then bands together to try find a way to fix what has happened and bring him back, but that proves not as easy as one might think. I suppose one thing that helped if that while Vincent's body was gone he was still there in spirit and was able to communicate to Kate on such things.
Violette is determined to gain power from Vincent, who she sees as the champion, but she didn't count on Kate and the others hell bent on getting him back no matter what it took.
What I did admire was the love Kate has for Vincent. It goes beyond anything else in this world, it's the kind of love that she would die for..
Kate is a very tough and kickass character. She has grown so much since she arrived in Paris with her sister, Georgia after the death of their parents.

After reading Jules's novella, it made me feel so bad for him because he was in love with Kate so painfully, it made me want her to love him, but I knew that was impossible. I just hope one day he finds someone to love that would be his only. A spinoff would be perfect actually.. HINT HINT, Amy.
But I loved his friendship with Kate, with Vincent.  I think everyone in this group has grown and matured from the people they were to begin it. It's a natural process the things they had to overcome since Kate came into their lives, but in another way, she made their lives so much better. So much more alive, as much as one can be when you die and then return time and time again.

Toward the middle of the book things become very intense. Secrets are revealed. Characters come into place you don't expect and discover whether or not Vincent is the champion after all.
A shocking revelation involving two characters come to light, one more shocking than the other, but interesting peices of information nonetheless.
The conclusion to this story was bittersweet but happy. All in all, a great ending to this unique series.

Rating: 4.5/5





No comments:

Post a Comment