Monday, May 20, 2013

Review: Saving June by Hannah Harrington

Saving June by Hannah Harrington
Publication Date: May 1, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen Australia
Number of Pages: 336
Format: Paperback
Buy: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
Add to Goodreads

‘If she’d waited less than two weeks, she’d be June who died in June. But I guess my sister didn’t consider that.’

Harper Scott’s older sister has always been the perfect one — so when June takes her own life a week before her high school graduation, sixteen-year-old Harper is devastated. Everyone’s sorry, but no one can explain why.

When her divorcing parents decide to split her sister’s ashes into his-and-her urns, Harper takes matters into her own hands. She’ll steal the ashes and drive cross-country with her best friend, Laney, to the one place June always dreamed of going — California.

Enter Jake Tolan. He’s a boy with a bad attitude, a classic-rock obsession and nothing in common with Harper’s sister. But Jake had a connection with June, and when he insists on joining them, Harper’s just desperate enough to let him. With his alternately charming and infuriating demeanour and his belief that music can see you through anything, he might be exactly what she needs.

Except June wasn’t the only one hiding something. Jake’s keeping a secret that has the power to turn Harper’s life upside down — again.

Harper's older sister June is the perfect child. It was a complete shock when June committed suicide two weeks before her high school graduation. Harper decides to honor June's only dream by taking her ashes to California. Enter mysterious bad boy Jake Tolan who has a mysterious connection to June.  He insists he has to go with Harper and  her best friend Laney and even offers to drive them. There's instant attraction between Jake and Harper, even though they have nothing in common.

This book is filled with music and music references. Usually it bugs me when a book is filled with detail music references, but it works for this book. Harper can tell Jake is hiding something from her about June. But he refuses to talk about it.

With many detours, this book is more about Harper grieving for her sister and coming to term. Even though I understand that's what the book is about, I wished it had a little bit more romance for Harper and Jake. I just couldn't get enough of them. And when they do finally get together, it's my favorite scene in the whole book.

Beware, the book is a tear jerker, and pretty much the whole book is sad. I hate that this was a stand a lone book. Which is why I usually don't read them. I only want more. I spent days after reading this day dreaming about Harper and Jake. The end of the book, it felt like there were room for more. Everything was resolve, but there were so much more room to write a few more chapters.The only thing I didn't like about the book was the aspect of religion. Harper has decided she doesn't believe, but she has a very big religious aunt. And it's the stereotypical christian who pushes their ideals on everyone and is close minded. Not to mention the bible thumpers at a protest they attend. I feel like the author was on the verge of bashing it. Or how at the end of the story Laney is pregnant but it's convenient taken care of. The plot made no sense in the book, only to show that Harper puts those she loves and care about above her own feelings and needs.And Jake's secret? I felt disappointed. I didn't see the big deal and I thought the connection between him and June would of been something more. Seemed like the whole plot was headed towards this huge climax and then there were nothing. I do wish we learned exactly why June decided to take her own life.

In a few words this book is AMAZING! Definitely one of my favorites. I encourage everyone to give it a shot.

Rating: 4.5/5







1 comment:

  1. I have this book sitting on my shelf just waiting for me to read it. I actually do like tear jerkers, as long as there is some happy in the end or the journey was good. Great review.

    ReplyDelete